Lara Santiago.com - Home Page

Friday, December 12, 2008

Spa Day? Yes or No


I LOVE going to spas for relaxation and pampering. I've been to a couple of local places near my house and there are fabulous full-body massages, facials, and pedicures to be had.

About a year ago, I went to one place I'll call Spa A with my mother-in-law and we each had a facial done. Spa A was lovely. The atmosphere at the spa itself was the very definition of relaxation.

We were shown to the ladies locker room and given a locker where we stowed our personal things under lock and key. We were issued snuggly robes and nice sandals. We were then put in a comfortably furnished soothing room to wait while they readied the place for our selected spa treatment.

Also available, while we waited for our personal masseuse to fetch us, was tea, coffee, and a delightful selection of cookies. We decided to wait until after our treatment to partake in the goodies.

The facial was very nice. I’d never had one before so I guess I’m not exactly a great judge, but I really enjoyed the experience. My face and shoulders were massaged, steamed and slathered with various youth inducing products meant to cleanse and refresh me. It worked. I was very refreshed, cleansed and relaxed at the end of my treatment.

Fast forward to a year later. This time I was with my mom. We decided to indulge ourselves with a holiday treat and have full-body massages.

Sigh. The mere mention of massage treatment makes me relax a notch.

This year’s spa day was magnificent. Again we went to Spa A and both had 50 minutes full body massages and I added on a pedicure because I was in desperate need. I’d have to say this was the single best massage I’ve ever had in my life.

My masseuse was amazing and by the time she got to my neck and shoulders towards the end of the time, she had me so relaxed, I fell asleep. Shocking because I’ve never done that before. I’ve had massages in my past and I’ve been very relaxed during them, but I’ve never fallen asleep. Especially while resting on my back. Sigh.


Now I also visited a place recently that I’ll call Spa B. It was a very nice place with similar amenities. A locker room, robes sandals etc. A quiet room to wait. It didn’t have any tea, coffee or cookies, but they had water which is probably better for me anyway. They had a few current issues of beauty magazines to peruse while waiting for my next spa treatment. It was very nice.

At Spa B I had a massage followed by a facial. It was a holiday special and the price was perfect. I enjoyed both sessions very much and yet I think given the choice I’d go back to Spa A.

I can’t put my finger on why. Both places were very similar in amenities and space and atmosphere. Is it loyalty?
Do I secretly feel that since I enjoyed Spa A, I shouldn’t be lured away to Spa B with a good deal on massage prices?

Do you like spa days? I’ve heard that some people don’t care for it and I’m completely stunned by this. If I could afford it, I’d go every day.

Actually, that’s what I plan to do if I ever make big money in writing. Or even average money. For now I write and put the money in an account for my kids college education.

Later on when my children are gone from my financial support, I have no doubt that I’ll write to sustain my addition to spa day full-body massages. I’m thinking about luring my husband into this den of relaxation too.
Muwahahaha…

So my question today is Spa Day: yes or no?
And if the answer is no, why not?
Explain it to me.
I just don’t understand how anyone wouldn’t enjoy this experience. ;)
L

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger Sissi M. said...

Not to promote on your blog, but I have a friend that is a massage therapist and she works for a place that does house calls. She's reasonable and does a GREAT job. I'll bring her info to our next meeting.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Lara Santiago said...

Cool! :)
L

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Wendi said...

OMG! I did not know this about you. I am a spa JUNKIE! I could live in day spas!!!! We so have to go sometime...maybe the day before RT when we're both in O-town??? hmmmm...rusty wheels are turning. :)

Wendi Darlin

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Lara Santiago said...

Oh Yes! We should go to a spa while in O-town!
Coincidentally, I have rusty wheels turning too. :)
L

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Free Counter