Lara Santiago.com - Home Page

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Contest Obsession

I have the opportunity to enter several published contests this year. By the end of 2006, I'll have 5 possible contenders for the electronic published contest world.

I was initially dubious about entering these contests. Before I was e-published I didn't have great success in the pre-published contest world. I asked around and learned that several of my author friends are very dedicated to entering as many contests as possible. They have various reasons for this obsession.

Their over riding theory is: You can't win if you don't enter! I was convinced it was still like playing the Lotto and I wasn't sure if I wanted to participate. I’ve never been much of a gambler.

After pondering the pros and cons for several days I decided to take the plunge. I would try it out once and see how I felt about it. It's expensive so I’d have to be selective about which contest to enter.

My next problem became which of my eligible books should I enter? I mean I love all of my books. Like my children, I love them equally. How can I choose which 'one' to enter when all are so deserving for different reasons? My next plan centered around how to enter ALL my books in EVERY contest possible.

I began to re-arrange my budget. Did I really need groceries this week? If not, I could enter 3 more contests.
I thought about a part time job to finance my new obsession. Even though I just gave up my full time job to be a writer.

An epiphany came right about then: This is exactly how authors get addicted to contests. They are only trying to treat all their books with fairness and equality.
It’s noble. Isn’t it?

My question for today is: How many contests do I have to enter to be considered a contest slut? Not that I care because I believe I’m the princess of justice in giving all my books a fair shot in the multitude of contests I’ve entered.
Besides, I needed to diet anyway.
L

1 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, Blogger Kristen Painter said...

Dieting to enter contests? Maybe I need to try that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Free Counter