Lara Santiago.com - Home Page

Thursday, September 21, 2006

How Fast Do You Write?

I think I write pretty fast.
Once I get an idea and embark on telling a story...I can smoke through a first draft in a few short weeks. I'm able to ignore my internal editor...or at least distract her with chocolate for long periods of time so she leaves me alone while I'm creating.

If I'm writing at full steam ahead mode, I can write 5,000 words in a day. My personal best is just over 11,000 words, but it took me 14 hours.
Looking back I think I may have been crazed. I wouldn't do it again...probably...unless there was a really good reason...sigh...oh who am I kidding, I'd do it again just to prove I could.
I have this rebellious streak occasionally. (Grin)

Once the first draft is complete and I begin the revision phase on my manuscript, my writing speed slows significantly. First, I have to shake my internal editor out of her chocolate coma. I'm lucky to get a thousand words written or re-written in a day.

I know a lot of writers gage their writing by how many pages they write in a day. Let's do the math. Why? Because I love math.
At 250 words per page, my average on a good day equals 20 pages.

I'm ever curious though. Because what if I'm mistaken?
What if I don't really write that fast at all?
Perhaps I'm a slow writer. Perhaps other writers out there are cranking out 40 or 50 pages a day laughing because on a good day I can only produce 20.

My question for today...how many words can you write in a day?
This is just for fun.
It doesn't matter how many words a writer writes as long as they write. Right?
(It's the same for woodchucks.)

I just needed a blog topic for today and this spilled out of me.
I said I was fast, not perfect. (smile)
Anyone want to share their personal best?
L

2 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Blogger Kristen Painter said...

Compared to you, I write like two words a day.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Lara Santiago said...

That's not true!
Besides I'm sure your words don't need extensive revision.
L

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Free Counter